Friday, January 18, 2013

Think you know Greek Mythology?

Many of us as students took Greek mythology at one point.  Whether it was high school or college or perhaps even university.  The question is did you really pay attention? Many of us were too busy being teenagers to really give it a second thought. I happened to be one of those people. I found it interesting, but not interesting enough to really dig deep. The real problem was simple. Greek mythology is truly overwhelming!  There are so many stories, so many gods and goddesses it was hard trying to put it all together. Let's face it, most of us at that age really didn't care about things like that. Now some of the gods are just well known, but others maybe not so much.  Let's test your abilities here. I'm going to list several of the gods and goddesses, and without using Google or cheating how many do you think you could describe without first looking them up? Let's see shall we?

Males
1. Zeus
2. Dionysus
3. Apollo
4. Hades
5. Hermes
6. Poseidon
7. Hephaestus
8. Ares
9. Eros

Females
1. Athena
2. Aphrodite
3. Hera
4. Artemis
5. Demeter
6. Hestia
7. Persephone
8. Medusa

Here's where it gets tricky.... The number 3 is very, and I do mean VERY significant in Greek mythology.
Do you know why? Or why the number 3 is oddly repeated?
I did this post for several reasons. First and foremost, they are all characters in my book in one way shape or form, they're all mentioned. Second, because unlike my teenage years, I now know more about Greek mythology then I ever thought possible!  Have some fun!  Enjoy! I will post all the answers in a few days!

Cheers, Lisa (aka) French

4 comments:

Gus said...

Hi Lisa!

I'm a big fan of Greek mythology and am looking forward to your novel!

I don't write about Greek myths but my current WIP is called Persephone and borrows from the myth somewhat. :)

I could totally describe all your Gods and Goddesses...well, most of them...lol

Amalia Dillin said...

I'm totally hip on all the names you listed (and write a blog on Greek and Norse mythology myself -- Classics degrees are SO useful for something!) but I have to admit I didn't know about the number 3!

As much as I know, and I think I know quite a bit -- there is still SO MUCH that I still don't know. It's kind of humbling and awesome.

Lisa (aka) French said...

Well In Greek Mythology 3 in seen in The 3 Furies, the 3 Fates, the 3 Gorgons...

Amalia Dillin said...

ahhh.. I thought you meant there was some religious significance of some kind?